Asthma is a condition that affects over 25 million American, especially children and young adults, where the bronchial air tubes in the lungs become inflamed, constricted, and clogged with mucus. Today, it is believed that one in twelve people has asthma compared to 10 years ago when one in fourteen people developed the condition.
Symptoms of asthma include:
- Allergy-like symptoms like runny nose, itchy watery eyes, itchy throat, redness and swelling in the sinuses or throat
- Dry mouth
- Lack of coordination or balance
- Poor circulation and oxygenation of the blood – lips, toes, and fingers may appear slightly blue
- Shortness of breath
- Swollen lymph glands
- Trouble doing exercise
These symptoms often make breathing difficult and can be life-threatening in extreme situations. Asthma can be caused by allergies, triggered by illness, or caused my physical exertion.
The Best Essential Oils for Asthma
The essential oils below are known for their powerful anti-inflammatory and “lung-opening” effects. They can cut through mucus and help clear the airways, but should not be used in place of emergency inhalers and other asthma medications without the guidance of your physician.
Also, many of these essential oils must be used with caution for children. I have listed the ages below for safety since asthma is so common in children.
- Cajeput (safe for children 6 years and older)
- Cypress (safe for children 6 months and older)
- Eucalyptus radiata (safe for children 10 years and older)
- Frankincense (safe for children 2 years and older)
- Hyssop (safe for children 2 years and older)
- Laurel (safe for children 6 years and older)
- Niaouli (safe for children 6 years and older)
- Palo santo (safe for children 2 years and older)
- Ravinsara (safe for children 6 months and older)
- Thyme (safe for children 2 years and older)
- Tsuga (very powerful and hard to find, should be used by older teens and adults only)
Essential Oil Recipes for Asthma
Recommended Blend #1
Recommended Blend #2
- 2 drops Roman chamomile – very good for controlling inflammation
- 5 drops cedarwood – helps open the bronchial passages
- 5 drops eucalyptus radiata
Diffuse 2-3x daily.
What have been your favorite essential oils to use for asthma? Please share in the comments below!
You may also enjoy reading:
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.