I’m the type of person who really enjoys a long languorous soak in the tub a few nights a week. It allows me to relax, ease tension and stress, and just let go of negativity as a whole. I do this by adding tons of natural bubble bath, essential oils, and lately, homemade all natural bath bombs!
These things are literally the bomb dot com. They fizz up amazingly, are super customizable, and smell incredible! They also add just that little extra touch of luxury without having to spend $6-$9 at Lush, which is a huge plus amiright?!
Making your own bath bombs is a fun way to enjoy getting a little extra fancy, so light some candles, pour yourself a good glass of wine, and draw a hot bath because your about to experience bliss!
All Natural Bath Bomb Recipe
This recipe is so simple to throw together. I will say though, that these will fizz much better if you let them cure for a day before use. To avoid having to wait so long, I normally make a large batch of different scents and combinations to have on hand for those days when a bath is just what you need.
Feel free to add any combination of essential oils you like! We even added different herbs to make to give them beauty as well as a relaxing boost.
Here’s what you’re going to need:
• 1 cup of baking soda
• ½ cup of corn starch (you can also use potato starch or omit the starch altogether. I find that it adds a silkiness to the bombs but you don’t need it)
• ½ cup of citric acid
• ½ cup of Epsom salts
• 2 tsp essential oil (one batch I made was geranium tangerine and the other was lavender lemon. 1 tsp of each EO. They smelled SO good!)
• 1 TB water or herbal hydrosol like rose water
• 1-2 tsp carrier oil (I used fractionated coconut oil, but you can use sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, etc)
• Dried herbs of choice like rose petals or lavender (optional)
• Bath bomb mold like this, this, or even just a muffin tray ( I actually think the muffin tray works best!)
• Want naturally colored bath bombs? Try out these all natural food dyes OR add mineral eyeshadow powder (make sure it is all natural earth minerals). Add these little by little until your all natural bath bombs reach the color you desire.
Loving Preparation- All Natural Bath Bomb Recipe
1. Begin by adding all of the dry ingredients to a bowl including the flowers if using
2. Mix well with a whisk or with your hands
3. In a separate bowl, mix the essential oil with the carrier oil and mix well. Add the water/floral water and mix well again (add the natural food coloring is if using)
4. Add the wet ingredient mixture a little at a time (I used a tiny measuring spoon) to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly before adding more. (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: if you add more than a few drops of the wet ingredients at a time, the whole thing will react and either lose its fizz or ruin the shape of your bath bombs over the next 48 hours.)
5. After you have slowly mixed in the wet ingredient mixture, test the consistency by squeezing some into your hand. If it holds together like moist sand, then it’s perfect! If it crumbles, add a tiny but more water at a time until you get the right consistency.
6. Next, firmly press the bath bomb mixture into a mold.
7. Remove from the mold (use a spoon to tap them loose) and place the fresh bath bombs on a kitchen towel or plate for 12-24 hours in order to let them cure. Make sure they are away from humidity or they will start to react (I have actually made a habit of checking the weather before making bath bombs because of humidity problems). During this time they will harden and will be ready for storage.
8. Store the bath bombs in a glass container to keep them fresh.
This recipe makes 3 1/2 2.5 inch size bath bombs that are very fizzy and fragrant. I could not stop smelling my hands after making these! I really hope you give these a try!
Run a hot bath and add whatever bubble bath you like if desired. Once the tub is full, drop in 1-2 bath bombs and watch them fizz up and release their relaxing scent.
Don’t forget to have a few candles lit, some good music, and nice glass of chilled wine while you’re at it!
Have you ever made your own all natural bath bomb before?
Want more recipes? Look below!
Rose Milk Bath Bombs
Lavender Orange Bath Bombs
Magnesium Bath Bombs for Sore Muscles
Homemade Hand Sanitizer- Alcohol Free!
All Natural Mosquito Repellent with Essential Oils
Immune Boosting Blend for Colds and Flu
Seasonal Allergy Blend- Three Different Ways!
Brain Fog Lifter Room Spray
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.