Have you ever had a really bad cold? You know, the kind where your throat is aching, you have a hacking wet cough, your nose is running like a faucet, and your eyes are crusted over? Yeah, not pleasant at all! Sure, tea and herbal remedies come in handy, but EOs are another potent ally that lend themselves well to colds and flu.
Immune Boosting Blend for Colds and Flu
This is a blend I’ve used time and time again for all manner of colds. It’s a sort of “one remedy treats all” formula that’s easy to use when you’re groping for relief and you need it NOW. It’s simple to use and really easy to make. Just add all of the oils below into a roll-on bottle with some carrier oil, and you’re all set with a super powerful remedy you can grab and use on the fly. I tend to keep one in my purse, one on my bedside table, and another in my first aid kit. It comes in really handy while traveling because you don’t need to lug around 10 different things for 10 different symptoms. This blend takes care of them all and has effectively cut a cold’s duration by half every time.
Here’s what you’re going to need for this immune-boosting blend:
• 1 1oz roll-on bottle
• Carrier oil like sweet almond, jojoba, fractionated coconut oil, grapeseed oil, etc.
• A small funnel
• Cinnamon bark essential oil– an amazing oil for strengthening the immune, circulatory, endocrine, and nervous systems. A powerful ally against bacteria, fungus, and viruses. Great for colds, flu, coughs, and other respiratory infections.
• Clove bud essential oil– for sore throat, sinusitis, colds, flu, and all manner of intestinal distress.
• Eucalyptus radiata essential oil– opens the bronchial passages and the sinuses. Great for those with asthma, sore throat, cough, and respiratory colds. Cuts through mucus!
• Ginger root essential oil– a warming oil that’s great for stuffy sinuses and lungs. Stimulates the immune system and eases colds, flu, swollen glands, and the drainage of excess mucus. Great for fevers!
• Lemon essential oil– stimulates white and red blood cell formation. Cleanses the lymphatic system and stimulates the body to fight off infection. A wonderful oil for throat infections and bronchitis.
• Mandarin essential oil– stimulates the immune system and helps urge the body to create and strengthen white and red blood cells.
• Nutmeg essential oil– a strong antibacterial oil. Warming and stimulating. Good for infections and respiratory issues.
• Orange essential oil– Stimulates lymphatic drainage. Relieves constipation, chronic diarrhea, and muscle spasms in the intestines. Improves stagnant emotions.
• Oregano essential oil– aka Nature’s Antibody, oregano oil is one of the most antiseptic of all EOs. Boosts the respiratory system and strengthens it against bronchitis, whooping cough, pneumonia, and other respiratory distress.
• Rosemary essential oil– Clears stuck mucus and relieves stress while you heal! This oil also lowers your histamine response which is great for allergies and staunching a runny nose.
• Thyme essential oil– Helps the body overcome fatigue, aches, and pains while stimulating the immune system.
Loving Preparation- Immune Boosting Blend for Colds and Flu
We’re going to make an 11% dilution for this blend in 1oz of carrier oil. Learn how to calculate dilutions HERE for the strength you’re looking for. This is a strong dilution, so feel free to dilute further as needed.
For children – READ THIS POST FIRST. Once you’ve done that, select the essential oils that are safe your child’s age, then use 1 drop of each oil in 1oz of carrier oil to make a 1% dilution. Test the blend on yourself first on the inner wrist to determine if this dilution will be comfortable for your child.
• Add 6 drops of each essential oil to your 1oz roll-on bottle
• Next, using the small funnel, carefully add enough carrier oil to fill the roll-on bottle to the shoulder
• Put in the roller piece and twist on the cap to pop it in place
• Roll the bottle between your palms to mix
Don’t want to make your own? get the Immune Support blend here.
At the first sign of a cold, when you’re feeling taxed, or even when in the vicinity of others who are sick, roll the blend on the bottoms of the feet, under the arms, over the throat, ears, stomach, and abdomen as needed.
I often apply this blend under my arms daily to keep my immune system in tip-top shape. It helps guard against catching colds while running errands and has kept me cold-free!
What have been your favorite immune-boosting blends using essential oils?
For more great immunity-boosting blends look below:
Homemade Hand Sanitizer- Alcohol Free!
HOMEMADE PROTECTIVE ESSENTIAL OIL BLEND
BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM WITH ESSENTIAL OILS
Immune Support Foot Rub
Homemade Anti-bacterial Copycat THIEVES® Essential Oil Blend
Just getting started?
An essential oil blend significantly modulates immune responses and the cell cycle in human cell cultures
Astani, Akram, Jürgen Reichling, and Paul Schnitzler. “Screening for antiviral activities of isolated compounds from essential oils.” Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine 2011 (2011).
Effect of Some Essential Oils on Phagocytosis and Complement System Activity
Reichling, Jürgen, et al. “Essential oils of aromatic plants with antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and cytotoxic properties–an overview.” Complementary Medicine Research 16.2 (2009): 79-90.
Solórzano-Santos, Fortino, and Maria Guadalupe Miranda-Novales. “Essential oils from aromatic herbs as antimicrobial agents.” Current opinion in biotechnology 23.2 (2012): 136-141.