Every summer I find myself in a mad dash to find bug repellent recipes or products that actually keep the bugs away. I’ve had a few successes here and there, like my all natural mosquito repellent and my bug repellent gel recipe, but a lot of the time I either don’t have enough time to throw something together before an impromptu trip or have purchased a product that claimed to work when it actually didn’t. Yeah… that time kayaking through the mangroves of Puerto Rico bring back such fond and itchy memories.
So now, every year as summer approaches, I like to throw together an insect shield essential oil blend that I can have on hand for all sorts of bug repelling recipes. I can add it to water, witch hazel, apple cider vinegar, or herbal tea to make a quick insect repellent spray, or add it to aloe vera gel, unscented lotion, and even carrier oil to make a quick deterrent on the go.
Whatever the need may be at that moment, I’ve got the perfect EO blend that keeps all types of biting insects at bay.
Insect Shield Essential Oil Blend for Repelling Biting and Stinging Insects
To make this blend, you will need 1 clean and empty 5ml essential oil bottle.
To the bottle, simply add:
- 3 drops catnip essential oil (one of the best bug deterrent essential oils)
- 6 drops citronella essential oil
- 8 drops Virginia cedarwood essential oil
- 10 drops patchouli essential oil
- 15 drops tea tree essential oil
- 18 drops geranium essential oil
- 20 drops eucalyptus globulus essential oil
Add each oil to the bottle, then cap closed and roll between the palms to mix.
How to Use Insect Shield Essential Oil Blend
- Add a few drops to a bowl of water or on cotton balls and place on picnic tables to deter insects.
- Add a few drops to an outdoor diffuser.
- Make an insect repellent candle. Use beeswax free for a stronger fragrance since beeswax doesn’t hold onto scent.
- To 1oz of water, carrier oil, aloe vera gel, unscented lotion, etc. add 6 drops for a 1% dilution, 12 drops for a 2% dilution, or 18 drops for a 3% dilution.
- For a strong repellent that can be used solely on clothing and equipment, add the entire blend to a large 16oz spray bottle, shake well, and spray it evenly over the desired area.
What have been your favorite essential oils for keeping the bugs away?
You may also enjoy reading:
Homemade Bug Bite Balm
All Natural Mosquito Repellent with Essential Oils
Bee Sting Roll-On Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.
Leave a Reply