Balmy evenings are one of my favorite things about summer. It’s the perfect time to come outdoors after the blazing heat to sit and relax, have a delicious sangria, and just enjoy the comfort of twilight. My least favorite thing though? Bug bites! There’s nothing worse than fearing a sneak attack by various biting insects when you’re trying to enjoy a BBQ, summer holiday, or a simple evening with your spouse outdoors.
So, when you forget your bug repellent gel (or maybe your kid decided to disrupt an anthill) and get a few bug bites, a homemade bug bite balm is just what the doctor ordered.
Homemade Bug Bite Balm
I love how convenient this balm is since I make it in a tube. It’s easy to apply and carry with me to friend’s homes and family functions during the summer months. It’s soothing, cooling, and takes away the infuriating and incessant itch that comes along with various big bites.
Since it’s in stick form, it hardly disturbs the bite when applied which is such a lifesaver! I don’t about you, but if I apply a bug bite remedy directly with my fingers, I have a really hard time keeping myself from scratching the bite. Considering how pale I am and how sensitive my skin is, scratching a bite is the last thing I want to do since it causes hyperpigmentation and a lot of ugly swelling. Not to mention, it makes the bite itch even worse!
Needless to say, this balm is a gift from above!
Here’s what you need to make a single lip balm tube (5ml) of homemade bug bite balm:
• One empty lip balm tube
• A small pyrex dish or beaker
• An oven mitt for handling
• A kitchen towel
• A small rubber spatula
• ¼ tsp of beeswax
• ¼ tsp of carrier oil (I used sweet almond oil)
• ½ tsp shea or mango butter
• 4 drops peppermint essential oil (for children 5 and under, use more lavender instead)
• 3 drops lavender essential oil (can be used for children 3 months and older)
• 2 drops tea tree essential oil (can be used for children 6 months and older)
• 1 drops helichrysum essential oil (can be used for children 6 months and older)
Spruce essential oil is also known to have a cortisone-like effect and may be great for especially itchy bug bites.
Feel free to multiply the recipe as needed. I don’t often need a bug bite balm so one lip balm sized tube is perfect for a whole years-worth of use for both my husband and I.
Note: For small children, simply add just 1-3 drops of lavender essential oil, German chamomile essential oil, or Roman chamomile essential oil instead to make an effective bite remedy as they reduce itching and relieve pain.
Loving Preparation – Bug Bite Balm Recipe
1. Add all of the ingredients to the pyrex dish/beaker except for the essential oils.
2. Place the pyrex in a sauce pan that has about a ¼ inch of water in it.
3. Bring it to a simmer.
4. Once the ingredients have melted completely, stir well, then very carefully remove the pyrex with an oven mitt or kitchen towel. Be very careful not to burn yourself as the glass will be very hot.
5. Place it on a kitchen towel to keep the ingredients from solidifying too quickly.
6. Now add the essential oils one by one and stir to mix thoroughly.
7. Carefully pour the mixture into an empty lip balm tube using the spatula as needed to scrape the balm into the tube.
8. Allow it to solidify, then cap closed for future use.
The essential oils in this blend are ideal for treating most kinds of insect bites due to their incredible antiseptic qualities. Lavender and peppermint essential oil are especially good for reducing the itch and potential infection of bug bites which is why they make an appearance in this recipe.
Helicrysum is an amazing anti-inflammatory and will reduce the pain associated with spider bites and bee stings.
Tea tree is soothing, antiseptic, and relieves incessant itching.
Other Essential Oils Suitable for Treating Bug Bites
• Eucalyptus globulus
• Eucalyptus radiata
• Spike lavender
What have been your favorite bug bite remedies? Please share in the comments below!
You may also enjoy reading:
All Natural Mosquito Repellent with Essential Oils
Bee Sting Roll-On Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.
Leave a Reply