Since purchasing a few new and exciting ingredients, I’ve been making lists of DIY projects and delving into recipes for the upcoming winter – like this decadent highland mint body lotion. Seeing as how the colder weather tends to suck my skin dry, it was high time to create something that I could use all over my body to quench my skin’s thirst.
How to Make Highland Mint Body Lotion
This lotion is a lovely emulsion that uses skin protecting avocado oil that’s rich in vitamin E and other conditioning, restorative properties. It helps regenerate parched skin and will smooth away roughness, making your skin feeling supple once more.
Not surprisingly, the scent is inspired by Badger’s ‘Highland Mint Lip Balm”, one of my favorite all-natural lip products aaaand maybe even the show Outlander. Let’s be honest here, right?
The scent it strikingly fresh, like the cold highland mountains of Scotland with an underlying hint of lavender. It’s really quite nice!
The lotion itself comes together in a flash with just a bit of measuring, melting, and emulsifying.
You can choose to make this lotion with a whisk, but I prefer to use an emersion blender (used for DIY projects only) to get the job done in about a minute flat.
The photos show my final product stored in a jar, and you could certainly do that, but I’d recommend putting it in a lotion tube or a bottle with a pump top in order to keep hand residing germs out of it.
This recipe makes about 4oz of lotion. I probably would have doubled the recipe since I liked how it turned so much!
So, without further ado, here’s how to make highland mint body lotion:
• An accurate kitchen scale like this one
• A pyrex measuring cup (preferably one that is big enough to fit the end-piece of an emersion blender)
• An emersion blender or whisk
• A flexible spatula
• 10g emulsifying wax NF
• 30g avocado oil (can sub with another similar bodied carrier oil)
• 80g of distilled water
• 7 drops peppermint essential oil
• 3 drops spearmint essential oil
• 10 drops lavender essential oil
Loving Preparation – Highland Mint Body Lotion Recipe
1. Weigh out the emulsifying wax and avocado oil into the pyrex measuring cup.
2. Bring one inch of water to a gentle simmer in a saucepan and place the pyrex measuring cup in the center.
3. Allow the wax and carrier oil to melt completely, stirring on occasion to mix.
4. While the mixture is melting, measure out your distilled water.
5. Once the wax and oil mixture has melted through, remove the pyrex measuring cup from the heat, wipe the bottom with a kitchen towel, and place it on the counter.
6. Add the water to the melted oil and use the lowest setting on your emersion blender to mix – mix for about a minute.
7. At this point, the mixture should be warm but not too hot.
8. Add in your essential oils and pulse the emersion blender to incorporate the EOs.
9. Use a flexible spatula to scrape off any residual lotion from the blender and scoop the lotion into a container of choice, you may need a funnel to do this.
10. The lotion will thicken even more over the next 24 hours, creating a beautiful almost fluffy end product.
This recipe makes about 4oz of lotion. The shelf life depends. If you store it in a jar that you need to dip your fingers in, it will last 1-2 weeks depending on the temperature in your home and how clean your hands are when you use it. If it’s stored in a squeeze tube or pump top bottle, it can last 3-4 weeks, again depending on the temperature in your home. The rule of thumb here is “When in doubt, throw it out!”.
Germs LOVE water and will actively reproduce in any homemade product if there is water in the recipe. The best way to make sure your products last as long as possible is to see about using a natural broad-spectrum preservative. Otherwise, you can always store the final product in the fridge to help extend the shelf life, but that isn’t always fun in the winter months.
This highland mint body lotion is so silky and decadent to use! I like making small batches so that I can change the scent often – I may try candy cane next!
Where are my fellow Outlander fans? Will you be making this highland inspired lotion? Let me know in the comments!
You may also enjoy reading:
Forest Bath Milk Concentrate
Thin Mint Lotion Bar Stick Recipe
Fizzing Bath Powder with Mint, Lemon, and Lavender
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.
Leave a Reply