Colder weather is on its way and with it comes dry hair and skin. I can always tell when the weather changes because my hair gets frizzier and frizzier, brittle, and unwieldy as SoCal temperatures drop and the air gets turns bone-dry.
Aside from planning formulas for winter resistant skin, I begin to use coconut oil hair masks on a nearly daily basis along with a few extra tricks I’ve found that keep my hair moisturized and protected.
Essential Oils for Dry Hair
For me, dry hair isn’t caused by not having enough oils. In fact, I have enough oils to share with quite a few people I’m sure! My dry hair is a result of water leaching away moisture leaving it damaged, tangled, split, and overall quite difficult to deal with.
Thankfully, along with using a dry shampoo recipe every now and then, there are a few great essential oils for dry hair that work amazingly well when mixed into nourishing carrier oil and worked through the length and ends of your hair. They’re protective against further damage and give your hair a vibrant and glossy sheen.
My Favorite Essential Oils for Dry Hair Care and Prevention
• Carrot Seed – not only is carrot seed oil great for protecting out skin from drying out and aging, it’s also great for dry hair! Use it to seal in moisture and increase your hairs elasticity.
• Chamomile – This EO is wonderful for softening dry brittle hair, adding shine, and alleviating a dry, itchy, inflamed scalp.
• Cedarwood – helps moisturize a dry scalp, increase blood flow, and lubricates the hair.
• Clary Sage – conditions and adds shine to hair.
• Geranium – restores follicle health and balances oil production.
• Lavender – Adds shine, relieves dandruff, and restores moisture to the hair which prevents frizz, flaking, and itching.
• Myrrh – an especially excellent EO for restoring balance, moisture, and strength to hair.
• Parsley – this EO softens dry brittle feeling hair making it silkier and shinier.
• Rose – calms frizz and restores moisture to damaged hair.
• Rosemary – restores your hair’s vibrancy, color, and resistance.
• Sandalwood – one of the best EOs for adding moisture back to the hair.
• Yarrow – strengthens hair and increases its resistance to dry weather.
How to Use Essential Oils for Dry Hair
Add 25 drops of essential oil to 2TB of carrier oil in a 1oz dropper bottle.
My favorite formula is:
• 10 drops lavender essential oil
• 10 drops sandalwood essential oil
• 5 drops geranium essential oil
• 2TB fractionated coconut oil (this type of coconut oil stays liquid in a dropper bottle for easy use)
Before I work out every morning, I apply 1-2 dropperfuls of dry hair oil to the length and ends of my hair.
If you have a dry scalp, make sure to massage your scalp as well and work the oil throughout your hair evenly. Concentrate on the ends. Next, put your hair up in a protective hairstyle and let the oil soak into your hair for at least 30 minutes. I try to leave it on for an hour, but it depends on how long my workout is for that day. You can also leave this on overnight.
Wash your hair as you normally would and voila! Your hair will feel softer and more moisturized. I tend to use this treatment almost daily during the dry and cold winter months to prevent split ends, frizz, and dry damaged hair.
What have been your favorite essential oils to use for dry frizzy hair?
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.