Before school starts and cold and flu season rolls in, it’s important to start collecting recipes and planning your lines of defense. Every year, millions of Americans are hospitalized for seasonal illness, and the numbers are rising as stronger strains of bacteria, microbes, and viruses begin to multiply, mutate, and evade conventional medicine.
While I certainly don’t recommend ignoring what modern medicine has to offer, I also don’t recommend ignoring the powerful natural remedies we have at our disposal.
Essential oils are one of those remedies.
Broad-Spectrum Essential Oil Blend for Cold and Flu
The term broad spectrum refers to the ability to kill off microbes, viruses, and bacteria. Obviously, without conducting your own experiments and growing what lurks in your home on a petri dish, and have extensive knowledge on these types of microorganisms, it’s going to be hard to determine what types of bacteria and viruses are in your environment.
So, since you won’t know exactly what microbial threats are flourishing in your house, it’s good to have something on hand that is going to cover all the bases.
That’s where this broad-spectrum essential oil blend comes into play.
How to Make a Broad-Spectrum Essential Oil Blend for Cold and Flu
The following essential oils are chosen for their antiviral, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. Blending them together, of course, is what gives this blend its broad-spectrum attributes.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
• One empty 15ml essential oil bottle
• 5 drops melissa essential oil
• 5 drops niaouli essential oil
• 5 drops palmarosa essential oil
• 5 drops thyme linalool essential oil
• 10 drops basil linalool essential oil
• 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
• 10 drops oregano essential oil
• 10 drops tea tree essential oil
• 15 drops sweet orange essential oil
• 20 drops lemon essential oil
• 20 drops peppermint essential oil
• 20 drops spearmint essential oil
• 20 drops juniper essential oil
• 20 drops lavender essential oil
If you’re using this blend around children under 10, swap the peppermint and spearmint with more orange or lemon essential oil.
Read more about using essential oils safely around babies and children HERE.
Loving Preparation – Broad-Spectrum Essential Oil Blend
1. Add each essential oil to the empty 15ml bottle.
2. Cap closed then roll between the palms to mix.
3. Allow the blend to “synergize” for a few days before use.
Essential Oil Recipes for Broad-Spectrum Blend
The following recipes are examples of the different ways in which you can use this powerful blend to help protect your family from cold and flu.
My personal favorites are the spray and hand soap recipes!
Broad-Spectrum Spray Recipe
• One 8 oz spray bottle
• ½ cup white vinegar
• ½ water
• 20 drops of broad-spectrum essential oil blend
Shake well before use, then spray on toilets, sinks, kitchen counters, and other frequently touched areas of the house to disinfect them.
Broad-Spectrum Diffuser Blend
• Add 8-10 drops of broad-spectrum blend to a diffuser and diffuse throughout the house during cold and flu season to help kill airborne bacteria and viruses.
Broad-Spectrum Hand Soap Recipe
Broad-Spectrum Hand Sanitizer Recipe
• One squeeze bottle
• 3 oz aloe vera gel
• 45 drops broad-spectrum blend
Have you made a broad-spectrum essential oil blend for the upcoming season? Please share in the comments below!
You may also enjoy reading:
Sickroom Spray Recipe for Cold and Flu
Essential Oils for Boosting The Immune System and Fighting Cold and Flu
Essential Oils for The Flu
Immune Boosting Blend for Colds and Flu
The Difference Between Cold and Flu
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.