The cold weather months can be brutal when it comes to dealing with a cold or flu. If you happen live anywhere else other than sunny Southern California (or near the equator for that matter!), you’ll find that opening your windows to air things out may be out of the question.
Despite being against stuffy sick rooms, I can understand when it’s just too cold to crack a window. That’s when having a good sickroom spray comes in really handy.
You can just sprits it throughout the air, on bedding, and even use it in the bathroom to help keep airborne germs at bay. The powerful essential oils will do their work by keeping the air clean and fresh smelling while also helping prevent the spread of colds or flu.
That’s pretty handy this time of year when friends and family may be visiting your home during the holiday season.
I should also mention that this makes a wonderful little carryon spray for travel as well! Simply sprits a little into a tissue and breathe in the aroma while at the airport, on a plane, or even while in the car when carpooling to your destination.
The essential oils will help boost immunity, clear air passages, and even help with stress levels which is always a good thing when trying to fend off germs and viruses.
So, without further ado, let’s get into the recipe!
Sickroom Spray Recipe for Colds and Flu
For this recipe you will need:
• A 2oz spritzer bottle (you can sub with any other size, just divide or multiply the essential oils as needed)
• Witch hazel or spring water (I used both)
• Colloidal silver (optional, but an amazing antibacterial for killing germs!)
• 10 drops ravensara essential oil (safe for children 6+ months)
• 10 drops lavender essential oil (safe for children 3+ months)
• 10 drops tea tree essential oil (safe for children 6+ months)
• 10 drops thyme essential oil (safe for children 2+ years)
Loving Preparation – sickroom Spray Recipe
1. Add the essential oils to the spritzer bottle.
2. Add 1TB of colloidal silver if using.
3. Fill the bottle halfway with witch hazel.
4. Fill the remaining half of the spritzer bottle up to the shoulder with spring water.
5. Cap closed and shake vigorously to mix before each use.
Keep a bottle of this handy when cold and flu hits your home. Sprits it often into the air to freshen, cleanse, and purify the air in your home.
You can even spray this on doorknobs, the toilet, sinks and faucets, TV remotes, bedding, and other frequently touched surfaces.
This blend also works well in a diffuser, simply add two drops of each essential oil.
This spray can also be used as a cold and flu preventative. Simply spray it or diffuse it throughout your home during cold and flu season, or add 2 drops of each essential oil to a personal nasal diffuser you can sniff from while visiting relatives or traveling.
Each of the essential oils in this blend have powerful antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiviral properties that purify and disinfect the air and surfaces in your home.
I hope you give it a try!
You may also enjoy reading:
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.