I don’t know about you, but it feels like 2020 is going to be a looong year! Due to recent events and the fact that many of us are working from home, the past few months have crawled by at a snail’s pace, weekdays are the new weekend, and everything is just blending together.
What day is it again?
This definitely isn’t how I envisioned the new decade to start out and I’m sure you’re in the same boat.
So, with all of this free time on our hands, having kids at home doing online school work, or adjusting to working from home, staying focused and clear-minded is more important than ever.
However, unless you’re a really motivated person, this can be difficult for many of us to achieve.
That’s where essential oils shine! They can help brighten our space, cut through brain fog, and boost mental clarity.
How to Use Essential Oils for Boosting Focus While Working from Home
Citrus Essential Oils
Citrus essential oils, especially lemon, orange, and grapefruit, are especially good for giving you a hand up when you feel depressed, unmotivated, or sluggish. Their bright energy helps uplift the mood, instill positive emotions, and help give you a mental boost.
Citrus oils also stimulate the right brain which helps amplify creativity which is something we all need right now!
Some of my favorite citrus essential oils include:
- Grapefruit – calming to the senses and instills feelings of wholeness
- Lemon – purifying, clarifying, and uplifting
- Lime – clears the mind and boosts mental energy, counteracts negativity
- Mandarin – helps eradicate nervous tension and anxiety
- Sweet orange – calming and uplifting. A true “happiness in a bottle” oil
- Tangerine – refreshing and mentally rejuvenating
- Yuzu – dispels worry and tension, mentally refreshing
I often keep a bottle of lemon essential oil on my desk and will take a whiff as needed while I work to help lift mental fogginess and boost motivation.
But, if you want to get more involved, I highly recommend making a personal inhaler blend with 2 drops each of sweet orange, lemon, and grapefruit essential oil.
This blend is pleasantly citrusy and so uplifting! Try adding a drop of spearmint to add additional clarity to the blend.
Conifer Essential Oils
Conifer essential oils aren’t just for the holidays! In fact, they’re perfect for challenging times like these because their therapeutic properties and refreshing scent help move stagnation, improve circulation, and stimulate the brain.
Some of my favorites to consider include:
- Balsam fir – opens emotional blocks, uplifting and mentally clarifying
- Cypress – stimulates the amygdala, pituitary gland, and hypothalamus of the brain, instills emotional strength
- Fir needle – mentally refreshing and instills a sense of tranquility
- Spruce – refreshing, radiant, and penetrating aroma that restores mental focus
Conifer oils are great for diffusing in your workspace, making room sprays, and for using in a personal nasal inhaler.
Their fresh scent is a sure-fire way to wake up the senses and enhance mental focus.
Resinous Essential Oils
Resins can be thought of as the life-blood of trees which are known to be steadfast and grounding in nature. Resins, on the other hand, are strengthening, energizing, and help instill energy and resourcefulness.
They are perfect allies for promoting concentration, focus, and cognitive retention.
A couple of my favorites include:
- Frankincense – stimulates the limbic part of the brain, hones focus, instills creativity
- Vetiver – drastically improves concentration, lessens stress, and encourages calm
These can be sniffed from the bottle as needed or used in a personal nasal inhaler (just a drop of each will do the trick!).
Herbaceous Essential Oils
Herbaceous essential oils are known for there penetrating, bright, and sometimes spicy aromas that you can’t help but breathe in deeply.
Have you ever NOT felt inclined to run your palm over a hedge of fresh rosemary just so you could enjoy its scent? I find it almost impossible to pass up fresh rosemary without doing this. The reason? Rosemary fills me with joy and energy! Not only that, it enhances memory and nixes stress in a matter of seconds!
Rosemary isn’t the only essential oil that does this, others include:
- Basil – mentally clarifying and combats fatigue
- Cardamom – encourages creativity and mental clarity
- Lavender – reduces mental irritation and stress
- Lemongrass – helps improve focus and productivity
- Peppermint – cuts through brain fog and restores mental energy
These herbaceous essential oils are perfect for diffusing. Simply add a few drops of your favorites to a diffuser and diffuse for 30 minutes twice daily.
What have been your favorite essential oils that help you stay focused while working from home? Please share in the comments below!
You may also enjoy reading:
Essential Oils for Anxiety – Don’t Worry, Be Happy!
Essential Oils for Concentration
Memory and Concentration Blend
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.
Leave a Reply