Coughing is one of the most common symptoms during cold and flu season causing many to look for remedies that ease breathing and stop the hacking. A trip to the doctor will likely get a prescription for cough suppressants but research has shown that taking OTC cough medicine is ineffective at best. In fact, many people suffering from coughs are often prescribed Codeine to alleviate their symptoms only to find that they experience opiate withdrawal.
Thankfully, there are many essential oils that offer natural relief due to their antispasmodic, expectorant, antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-catarrhal properties.
This means that they can improve breathing, help clear the lungs, fight infection, and ease cough!
The Best Anti-Cattarhal Essential Oils
Anti-catarrhal essential oils are oils that ease spasmodic coughing and help loosen phlegm and mucus in the lungs and sinuses. They are essential allies to have during times of cold and flu and are most effective when diffused into the air, breathed in through a salt inhaler, or applied topically.
They help fight viruses and bacteria that may be causing your cough while also helping the lungs expectorant trapped mucus so that you can get well faster.
I highly recommend you check out the following respiratory wellness articles below:
Top 3 Eucalyptus Oil Uses for Health and Well-being
Essential Oil Blends for Respiratory Ailments
12 Home Remedies for Cough That Actually Work!
Herbal Remedies for Wet Cough
Herbal Remedies for Dry Cough
Please keep in mind that you need to read this post before using essential oils on children.
The Best Anti-Catarrhal Essential Oils Include:
- Benzoin – anti-spasmodic and alleviates scratchiness in the throat
- Black pepper – great blended with other anti-catarrhal EOs. Good for clearing white or clear mucus
- Cypress – very clarifying for the lungs and sinuses
- Elemi – an effective expectorant
- Eucalyptus radiata – my personal favorite for clearing mucus that is yellow, green, or brown in color and for fighting viruses
- Fir – good for clearing mucus that is white or clear in color
- Frankincense – eliminates phlegm and soothes cough
- Ginger – good for loosening mucus that is white or clear in color
- Helichrysum – good for discharging mucus and relieving scratchiness in the throat
- Hyssop – helps open the lungs and discharge mucus
- Jasmine – anti-spasmodic
- Ravensara – very clarifying for the lungs and sinuses
- Rosemary – good for breaking up general mucus and helps stop spasming due to its camphor content
Anti-Catarrhal Essential Oil Recipes
Below are a few recipes that are expectorant, antispasmodic, and clarifying for the lungs. They are especially helpful before bedtime and upon rising when coughing and mucus buildup tend to be worse.
Recommended Blend #1
Diffuse every 4-6 hours as needed for sinus and lung congestion.
Recommended Blend #2
Dilute in 2 TB carrier oil and massage a small amount over the chest 2x daily, especially before bed. Check out this chest rub recipe for the ultimate cough-fighting balm.
Recommended Blend #3
Add the oils to the cotton pad of a personal nasal diffuser and inhale gently through the nose as needed to alleviate sinus and lung congestion.
What have been your favorite anti-catarrhal essential oils? please share in the comments below!
You may also enjoy reading:
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.