The liver is one of the most crucial detoxifying organs in the body and keeping it healthy and working optimally is an amazing way to support your overall health. One of my favorite ways to support it is by using essential oils to not only detox the liver, but also to strengthen, stimulate, and regenerate it.
How to Detox the Liver using Essential Oils for Optimum Health
The liver carries out over 500 crucial bodily functions each and every day and has a remarkable capacity for regeneration; an important ability to have considering all the liver does to keep us healthy. Every single minute, the liver processes and filters 2 ½ pints of blood. Harmful wastes and toxins are sent off for excretion while other elements are converted into useful components for use elsewhere in the body.
The liver is responsible for the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, cholesterol, and the growth of bone and muscle. It produces the hormone thrombopoietin which regulates blood cell and platelet production, it stores vitamins A, B12, and D, and also synthesizes glucose and amino acids.
So, as you can see, this unassuming organ does much more than just cleanse the blood. Everything you inhale, apply topically, eat, drink – basically everything that touches or goes into the body – is in some way processed by the liver. Certain medications, environmental toxins, alcohol, and processed foods are particularly burdensome on the liver and an overabundance of these substances can start to cause issues.
One of the reasons it can be hard to identify any problems with the liver is that it lacks pain receptors. This can make it difficult to know when it’s struggling and needs support. Since the liver is involved in so many functions of the body, it will usually manifest symptoms elsewhere.
A dull ache under the ribs on the right side of the body, right shoulder or back pain, itchy skin, fatigue, yellowing of the skin, dark urine, and light colored stools can all indicate a distressed liver but those aren’t the only signs of a toxic liver.
How to Cleanse and Detox the Liver Using Essential Oils
There are many things you can do to start supporting the liver which include doing things like eating high quality and preferably organic foods, especially fresh fruits and vegetables. You can also take raw apple cider vinegar daily and drink high quality green tea, dandelion root tea, or fresh carrot juice to help support detox.
Dry brushing the skin, sweating it out at the gym or in a sauna, and getting good lymphatic drainage will also help support a healthy liver.
Essential oils are also a great addition to your liver support routine as they are quick and simple to apply and are very potent and effective remedies.
Some of the best essential oils for detoxifying the liver include:
• Carrot Seed
• Celery Seed
• German Chamomile
• Juniper Berry
• Roman Chamomile
• Sweet Orange
Many of the essential oils listed above are hepatic in nature which means that they stimulate, strengthen, and tone the liver helping increase bile flow and detoxification. Others are great for emotional detox, gallbladder support, are anti-inflammatory, or aid in lymph circulation which all support a healthy liver.
Liver Support Essential Oil Blend
To make an effective liver support blend, combine the following oils in an empty 1oz dropper bottle:
• 3 drops carrot seed essential oil – aides in the repair, regeneration and detoxification of liver cells.
• 3 drops German chamomile essential oil – stimulates bile secretions and supports liver detox.
• 4 drops cypress essential oil – stimulates and regulates liver secretions and supports cleansing and detoxification.
• 4 drops juniper berry essential oil – a blood purifying essential oil that aides the liver by relieving some of its burden.
• 5 drops geranium essential oil – aides the liver by expanding the liver’s bile ducts which helps with detox. Geranium is considered to be a powerful liver tonic.
• 5 drops rosemary essential oil – enhances bile flow and reduces excess plasma liver enzymes. It also prevents toxic overload.
• 6 drops ginger essential oil – helps reverse a fatty liver and stimulates liver secretions.
Cap closed and roll between your palms.
Apply one dropperful of liver support blend under your right ribcage. You can spread it over the abdomen and middle of the back as well.
Use upon waking and before bedtime for best results.
Emotional Liver Support Essential Oil Blend
Did you know that the liver can become toxic with emotions? As crazy as it might sound, the liver hangs onto negativity, hate, grief, anger, and number of other unpleasant emotions. In order to help the liver, release its emotional burden, you need to include daily practices like exercise, meditation, yoga, and other emotional release activities along with using emotionally supportive essential oils.
To make an effective emotional liver support blend, combine the following essential oils in an empty 1oz dropper bottle:
• 2 drops ylang ylang essential oil – relieves mental fatigue and calms the mind and feelings of anxiety.
• 3 drops German chamomile essential oil – an incredibly relaxing oil. Reduces stress, and nervous tension.
• 3 drops helichrysum essential oil – one of the top oils for liver regeneration.
• 4 drops cypress essential oil – calms the nervous system and decreases nervous tension and stress.
• 4 drops geranium essential oil – creates a sense of security, safety, and deep relaxation. Supports depression and decreases fear, feelings of hurt, and extreme turbulent emotions.
• 4 drops sweet orange essential oil – uplifts the mood and stimulates feelings of joy and cheerfulness.
• 5 drops grapefruit essential oil – stimulates the liver, gallbladder, and lymphatic system and improves self-acceptance.
• 5 drops lavender essential oil – uplifts the mood, balances mood swings, normalizes emotions, and relaxes the mind. Supports the release of irritability, fear, insecurity, restlessness, depression, nervousness, and stress.
Next, fill the dropper bottle to the shoulder with carrier oil.
Cap closed and roll between the palms to mix.
Apply one dropperful beneath the right rib cage and behind the ears. Cup the remaining oil over your nose and inhale slowly for three breaths. Use this blend when emotions are turbulent.
You may also enjoy these other detox articles:
How to Detox the Lymphatic System Using Essential Oils
Pre-Bath Body Oil Recipe for Detox
Detoxifying Essential Oils and How to Use Them
Essential Oils for Detox
Super Detoxifying Bath Salt Recipe
How to Take an Epsom Salt Detox Bath
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.