As I continue to explore various forms of physical activity to keep my fitness journey fresh and interesting, I often find myself sore and in need of a good massage oil. Muscle rubs, massage oils, and gels have all been extremely helpful in supporting post-workout comfort, so when I got a request to make a copycat Ortho Ease recipe, I knew I had to try it out!
DIY Ortho Ease Recipe
In case you’re wondering what Ortho Ease is, it’s a massage oil by Young Living that contains a few potent essential oils known for their soothing and muscle supportive qualities. It’s an excellent oil to use before or after a workout!
However, it can be a bit pricey to just buy a bottle whenever you need it, so, here I am with another dupe recipe to help you make your own version.
This recipe was surprisingly easy to throw together despite containing 9 essential oils because it can be challenging to get the formula as close as possible with too much going on. However, I have to say I got pretty dang close 😊
Ortho Ease contains:
For this recipe, I made a 3% dilution for the same size bottle that the original comes in (8oz), but you can of course increase or decrease the dilution to suit your specific needs.
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own Ortho Ease:
• One 8oz pump bottle
• Carrier oil (I recommend sweet almond oil or fractionated coconut oil)
• 24 drops wintergreen essential oil
• 20 drops peppermint essential oil
• 8 drops juniper essential oil
• 8 drops eucalyptus globulus essential oil
• 8 drops lemongrass essential oil
• 4 drops marjoram essential oil
• 4 drops thyme essential oil
• 4 drops eucalyptus radiata essential oil
• 4 drops vetiver essential oil (you may need to soak the bottle in warm water to get the drops out)
Loving Preparation – Copycat Ortho Ease Recipe
1. Add the essential oils to the 8oz pump bottle.
2. Next, fill the bottle to the shoulder with sweet almond oil (you can also add a bit of olive oil, grapeseed oil, or fractionated coconut oil if desired since the original contains these. I do not, however, recommend using wheat germ oil as it is very comedogenic)
3. Cap closed and roll between your palms to mix.
4. Allow the essential oils to synergize and meld for a few days before use if possible. Using it right way it totally fine too!
5. Store in a cool dark place.
6. If the oil starts smelling off, chuck it out.
Massage into trouble areas before or after a workout to support your muscles.
I will often apply it to my legs on leg day or before running.
You can even add a pump to some Epsom salts and add it to your post-workout bath for a wonderfully soothing experience!
Have you ever used Ortho Ease? How do you like?
Got a request for a copycat recipe? Let me know in the comments!
You may also enjoy reading:
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.