How to Make an Anti-anxiety Room and Body Spray
Sometimes anxiety sneaks up on us and sometimes it hits us like a ton of bricks. Nowadays it’s almost strange for someone NOT to feel anxious to some degree. Our lives are full of to-do lists that just get longer and longer with no feasible end in sight. We’ve become expert multi-taskers and look totally refined and professional as we juggle said tasks day after day. The truth is, we’re NOT ok. In fact, we’re falling apart inside and our hearts are racing uncomfortably as if we’re standing in front of a crowd.
Anxiety is a silent adversary and it can bring you down no matter how strong your walls are. It’s times like these where essential oils can really help you steel yourself against your fears and strengthen your resolve. They can uplift sorrow and instill a sense of calm and happiness which can really take the edge off of anxious situations.
This blend smells wonderful! Almost like your walking through an orange orchard while it’s in full bloom. The scent is fresh, uplifting, and floral with hints of mandarin and lavender. Spritz it on bed sheets, towels, throughout a room, or even on yourself to help reduce anxiety.
Here’s what you’re going to need:
• 2oz spritzer bottle in glass or aluminum
• Lavender essential oil– a wonderful oil for nervousness, depression, anxiety, and stress. Has a very relaxing effect
• Lemon essential oil– refreshing and uplifting
• Tangerine essential oil (you can sub bergamot or mandarin essential oil)- helps with anxiety and sadness
• Neroli essential oil– an incredibly calming oil that greatly reduces anxiety
• Petitgrain essential oil– one of my favorite oils for calming the senses
• Rose absolute– stimulating for the entire nervous system. Creates a sense of well-being
Loving Preparation – Anti-anxiety Room and Body Spray
• Fill your spritzer bottle with distilled or spring water
• Next add 5 drops of each essential oil (you can add more or less of each depending on how floral you like it)
• Cap it closed and shake vigorously until the water turns cloudy
• Spritz on linens, around the room, or on yourself as desired
• Breathe in deeply and focus on letting your anxiety go
Why do Essential Oils Lower Anxiety?
You may be skeptical about how a simple spray with a few fragrant oils could possibly affect anxiety, but I assure you it can!
When we smell an essential oil, scent receptors in our nose send signals to the limbic system of the brain. This is where our emotions are controlled which is why smelling essential oils triggers and emotional response such as happiness, contentment, excitement, or a sense of peace.
The limbic system is directly connected to the parts of the brain that control breathing, blood pressure, heart rate, stress, hormone balance, and memory. As you can imagine, smelling essential oils also affects these functions of the body in a positive way.
When we smell an essential oil blend that is specially formulated for anxiety relief those oils go to work by easing a racing heart, calming erratic breathing, and instilling positive emotions. In essence, smelling essential oils strengthens and fortifies the limbic system.
Other Essential Oils That Help Lower Anxiety
• Basil– a very uplifting oil that is effective against depression, anxiety, and fatigue
• Clary sage– eases insomnia, anxiety, and depression
• Frankincense– helps calm breathing. Helps reduce stress, nervous tension, and anxiety
• Geranium– a natural sedative. Lifts the spirit and helps you release negativity, stress, and depression
• Grapefruit– an uplifting oil that helps instill happiness
• Jasmine– an uplifting floral oil
• Lime– relieves stress and anxiety
• Marjoram– eases feelings of fear, grief, and loneliness
• Palmarosa– reduces nervous tension and anxiety
• Roman chamomile– reduces stress and eases depression
• Sandalwood– fights inner stress and uplifts emotions
• Sweet orange– refreshing energizing scent. Great for feelings of anger, panic, irritation, or fear
• Ylang ylang– balances the female energies. Restores emotional equilibrium
What are your favorite essential oils for anxiety?
Just getting started? Check out the articles below:
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.