Keeping the skin plump and supple as we age is one of the most important things we can do to help prevent and minimize the signs of aging. Essential oils can help support a healthy skin barrier, reduce dryness and dullness, prevent the look of fine lines and wrinkles, and help rejuvenate the complexion so that the skin looks fresh and vibrant.
The Best Essential Oils for Aging
To help prevent and treat the signs of aging, use the following essential oils for wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, hyperpigmentation, and free radical damage.
These signs of aging occur as the skin loses oxygen flow to the tissues and collagen begins to break down.
Through the use of essential oils, you can help deflect free-radical damage and help protect the skin from aging prematurely.
Some of the best essential oils for aging include:
- Carrot Seed – one of the best essential oils for preventing fine lines and wrinkles
- Cistus – heals the skin and protects it from the signs of aging
- Elemi – great for restoring the skin and rejuvenating damaged skin cells
- Fennel (especially sea fennel) – helps repair the skin’s outer most barrier, restore luster, and rejuvenate the complexion
- Frankincense – highly anti-aging and restorative – a must-have!
- Galbanum – lifts sagging skin and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Geranium – fights oily skin and helps rebalance sebum production
- Helichrysum – a very healing and rejuvenating oil
- Lavender – one of the best essential oils for fighting the signs of aging and reducing fine lines
- Lemon – helps lighten age spots and other forms of hyperpigmentation
- Myrrh – helps prevent the formation of sagging skin and wrinkles
- Neroli – soothes and softens the skin
- Patchouli – helps restore the skin’s elasticity
- Rose absolute – highly anti-aging, pH balancing, and restorative
- Rose Otto (diluted version) – anti-aging and helps lessen fine lines and wrinkles
- Rosewood – helps regenerate damaged skin cells and fight free radicals
- Sandalwood – Smooths and soothes the skin. Highly anti-aging
- Thyme – helps eliminate acne-causing bacteria
- Ylang ylang – helps restore and regenerate damaged skin cells and improves elasticity
For more highly anti-aging essential oils, I recommend checking out my post on the complete list of ORAC rating for essential oils here.
The higher the rating, the more antioxidant power the oil has which can help you formulate powerful serums and other anti-aging recipes.
Essential Oil Recipes for Aging
The key to fighting the signs of aging and preventing the free radical damage that causes fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots is to be consistent. Each of the recipes below can be customized to fit your personal needs using the essential oil list above, just make sure to use your formula at least twice daily for best results.
Recommended Blend #1
Dilute in ½ oz of carrier oil and apply to problem areas.
Recommended Blend #2
- 1 drop lavender
- 1 drop lemon (use steam distilled lemon for daytime use – read why here)
- 1 drop frankincense
Dilute in 2 tsp of carrier oil and apply to wrinkles morning and night.
Recommended Blend #3
- 1 drop rose absolute (diluted version)
- 1 drop galbanum
- 1 drop helichrysum
- 1 drop sandalwood
- 1 drop frankincense
Dilute in 1 TB carrier oil and apply a few drops to the entire face morning and night.
Recommended Blend # 4
Dilute in 1 TB carrier oil and apply to wrinkles morning and night.
What have been your favorite essential oils for fighting the signs of aging? Please share them in the comments below!
You may also enjoy reading:
Essential Oil Quick Usage Guide
Essential Oil Profiles and Therapeutic Uses
Dead Sea Salt Scrub for Dewy Radiant Skin
Essential Oils for Specific Skin Types
The Benefits of Glycolic Acid for The Skin
Barrier Repair – The Secret to Beautifully Clear Skin
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.