If you’re someone who battles with anxiety day in and day out, then essential oils can be an incredible natural ally to implement into your daily routine. It is estimated that around 75% of Americans experience anxiety at least once a month, usually as a result of the stressors in our modern lives.
Anxiety can manifest in a variety of ways and can be crippling in its intensity. Whether it’s caused by stress or social situations, anxiety can make us feel panicked, out of control, withdrawn, and irritable.
The Best Essential Oils for Anxiety
There are tons of essential oils to consider when dealing with anxiousness. Some are good for treating the symptoms you may experience during an attack like a racing heartbeat, digestive upset, hormone imbalance, depression, and insomnia.
Other oils will affect you emotionally and mentally and will allow you to calm down, de-stress, and relax.
The following essential oils are calming to the mind and body and fill one with a sense of peace while helping to reduce the various symptoms of anxiety.
– Basil – calms the mind and relieves stress
– Benzoin – an anti-depressant oil
– Bergamot – a cheerful and uplifting oil
– Cedarwood – excellent for treating insomnia. Promotes the release of serotonin
– Clary sage – hormone balancing, has an estrogenic effect
– Cypress – calms and relaxes
– Frankincense – spiritually grounding. A very relaxing oil
– Geranium – lowers anxiety when smelled
– Hyssop – helps during severe cases of hysteria and panic attacks
– Jasmine – reduces stress, anxiety, and depression
– Juniper – calms and relaxes
– Lavender – one of the best essential oils for stress relief and sleep issues
– Lemon – a very uplifting and cheerful oil
– Lime – improves and uplifts the mood
– Marjoram – alleviates stress and anxiety in regards to grief
– Melissa – reduced stress, anxiety, and insomnia
– Patchouli – great to use when feeling nauseous
– Pine – relieves stress and boosts the mood
– Roman chamomile – calming and relaxing to the senses
– Rose – a very emotionally soothing oil
– Rosemary – Lowers the stress hormone cortisol in 20 seconds when smelled
– Sandalwood – filled with powerful sesquiterpenes that calm the body and mind
– Tangerine – uplifting and happy
– Tsuga – relieves feelings of anxiety
– Vetiver – excellent for encouraging restful sleep. Will also calm ADHD
– Ylang ylang – balances hormones and uplifts the emotions
Essential Oil Recipes for Anxiety
Recommended Blend #1
Diffuse 2-3x daily to encourage calmness and feelings of being grounded and in control.
Recommended Blend #2
Dilute in 1oz of water and spray your surroundings as needed. Breathe deeply for 3 measured breaths.
What have been your favorite essential oils for anxiety? Please share in the comments below!
You may also enjoy reading:
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.