Acne is an inflammatory skin condition where excess sebum and bacteria get trapped in the skin’s pores resulting in various types of blemishes like blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and cysts. It is often caused by hormonal imbalances, poor diet, chemical exposure, and stress.
Essential oils can treat all of these factors while also improving the skin’s outer-most barrier, killing acne-causing bacteria, reducing inflammation, and dissolve sebum.
The Best Essential Oils for Acne
Essential oils have the power to dissolve hardened sebum, kill acne-causing bacteria, and even help preserve the skin’s acid mantle. When diluted with a carrier oil that is suitable for your skin type, some oils are just as effective as benzoyl peroxide without the side-effects.
The essential oils below have been proven to be effective against acne-causing bacteria with a few oils that have some of their own unique properties that can improve blemishes with consistent use.
– Clove (kills acne-causing bacteria)
– Eucalyptus radiata
– Geranium (great for controlling oily skin)
– German chamomile (reduces inflammation)
– Niaouli (kills acne-causing bacteria)
– Roman chamomile (reduces inflammation and redness)
– Sweet Orange
– Tea tree (kills acne-causing bacteria)
– Thyme linalool (works just as well if not better than benzoyl peroxide – dilute 1 drop in 1 tsp of carrier oil and use it as a spot treatment)
Essential Oil Recipes for Acne
Recommended Blend #1
Mix into 1 teaspoon of carrier oil or aloe vera gel and apply to blemishes twice daily.
Recommended Blend #2
Mix into 1 teaspoon of carrier oil and apply to trouble areas morning and night.
Recommended Blend #3
Mix into 1 tsp of carrier oil and swab onto trouble areas morning and night.
What have been your favorite essential oils to use for treating acne? Please share in the comments below!
You may also enjoy reading:
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure and disclaimer.